Connor's Corner

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Some Birthdays Comin' Up



Look who is turning the big ONE next month. Oh-how the puppy days have flown by! Belle is still a handful-but a sweet one (most of the time anyway)

Also, Ryan and Stacy are going to be 14 on Feb. 28th! So hard to believe they are getting so grown up. When did that happen?

Connor had a good day today. I didn't-but it happens, you know? I think I am to a point that I feel like putting a sign on Connor so people will quit asking me what is wrong with him...it has gotten really hard to go out without incidents arising every time. I don't mind explaining his condition at all-in fact, watch out, I might talk your ear off, lol.

It is the thoughtless remarks that are bothering me. He is a beautiful child, and we love him for who he is right this very moment-and that will never change. I see confusion, fear, and pity in people's eyes when I wish they could just see what I see...Connor. As he is, imperfect in some eyes, but still as much of a blessing as any other child-maybe more.

Maybe this is a good reminder to folks to try and see the child-not the disability. Look in their eyes, smile, just don't stand there and ask me when is he going to talk or what is WRONG with him in a way that implies that he is "damaged goods" or bad in some way.

We appreciate all the love, prayers, concern, cards, calls, and most of all friendship through all this. I hope this doesn't offend anyone-most everyone has been wonderful to us. I never knew such kindness before-from the men at our church who pray for Connor everyday, to the strangers who hold doors open for me as I struggle to tote an almost 40 pound toddler who can't walk off and on. I just want him accepted for all he IS-not looked at for all that he isn't. (Yet)

I might have some exciting news to share soon about something I am looking into for Connor. I'll share more when I know more-don't want to jinx it (hee-hee)

Love to all and thanks for checking on us,
Deb

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Debbie,
I completely understand what you are saying about people giving the remarks and "looks" at our kids when we explain what OMS is. I've had some people look at Travon and say "He doesn't look like he has anything wrong with him"...Is he supposed to?! Ughh..some people!..I just try to brush comments like that off and know in my mind that our kids are amazing and they were given to us for a reason. I hope all is well, sorry I haven't checked in for a while!

~Jodi Vollbracht

www.caringbridge.org/visit/travonstclair

*Our Family*

Photobucket

"Connor's 3rd Birthday in Pics"


Before OMS Onset....

Connor was SO happy and interactive-then OMS struck at 15 months old and he changed overnight...

"Holiday Slideshow 2008"

"A Year In Pictures-2008"


Slideshow Stacy Made!

Connor's 2nd Birthday April 2008

Halloween 2006

Connor George Khoury

Connor George Khoury