Connor's Corner

Thursday, September 3, 2009

September is here!

First day at school!

Fake casts courtesy of Stacy-silly girl :-)

Connor relaxing after school wearing a hat he made that day...

Still in the "baking phase" so we are doing a lot of cooking around here.


If you notice the quality of these pics just kept going downhill. A little someone got hold of my camera (again) and messed up all the setting so the pics were awfully blurry. Sorry bout that, lol!

Busy day, like most lately, in a good way though. Connor's behaviors are back to a normal level (for him) that is tolerable...except last week when he did steroid week with nothing on board to combat the rages (won't be doing that again) Sam was traveling, so it was really a tough week, then Friday came around and he slowly started calming down over the weekend. School is going great, he goes in happily most days (more like content) except today-he was probably exhausted from hospital day yesterday in Atlanta. He still let me leave without much fuss, and began his busy day at school.

New changes have been made due to a pretty bad flu situation going on in our town. I pulled him out of his day school (the Tuesday and Thursday one with all the "normal" kids) Just too much exposure to handle realistically with his compromised immune system...I am fine with it though and feeling better about our decision. At least it leaves Tuesdays open for the hospital (we are going every 3 weeks now for his infusions) so he would have missed a lot of time...Plus he has speech therapy on Thursdays.

Tomorrow Connor begins seeing a new speech therapist. I am sure it will work out fine, but this was very upsetting for a few reasons...because of insurance reasons we are no longer allowed to see his other therapist (who he has been with 3 months now) New things are SO hard on Connor, and he was just starting to really hit his stride with the other therapist, so it is frustrating-feels like we are losing time by starting over with someone new. Please pray for the transition to go as smoothly as possible!

It is Childhood Cancer Awareness Month and also the 2 year anniversary of Connor's official diagnosis. Hard to believe it has been TWO years! I am still struggling with my anxieties over his future-but he is doing well right now. I am trying to take it one day at a time, and look at the positives-mainly being-HE IS ALIVE. Thank you Lord for this precious boy! One year ago he had NO words...now he can say Mommy and Daddy and many more. Simple words, like Hi and Bye-and some that we understand and no one else does, lol...But those few words are the most beautiful sound in the whole word. I think I have posted this before-but here is something I wanted to share this month...about what cancer took away from my baby when that tumor grew in his body and caused his OMS. His words that he is fighting so hard to learn and speak...

I Am The Child

I am the child who cannot talk. You often pity me, I see it in your eyes. You wonder how much I am aware of — I see that as well. I am aware of much — whether you are happy or sad or fearful, patient or impatient, full of love and desire, or if you are just doing your duty by me. I marvel at your frustration, knowing mine to be far greater, for I cannot express myself or my needs as you do.

You cannot conceive my isolation, so complete it is at times. I do not gift you with clever conversation, cute remarks to be laughed over and repeated. I do not give you answers to your everyday questions, responses over my well-being, sharing my needs, or comments about the world about me. I do not give you rewards as defined by the world’s standards — great strides in development that you can credit yourself; I do not give you understanding as you know it.

What I give you is so much more valuable — I give you instead opportunities. Opportunities to discover the depth of your character, not mine; the depth of your love, your commitment, your patience, your abilities; the opportunity to explore your spirit more deeply than you imagined possible. I drive you further than you would ever go on your own, working harder, seeking answers to your many questions with no answers. I am the child who cannot talk.

3 comments:

Deqlan said...

what a beautiful poem Debbie..how touching...photos are lovely glad to see Connor having such a great time! Praise Our Lord for two years from diagnosis and the many many more that are going to come! God Bless ,love and hugs
Mark Samm Deqlan Logan

Anonymous said...

The poem is so poignant and so true. Connor is truly amazing and I love him with all my heart. He is truly a gift! My love to all.
Mom

Anonymous said...

I am so thankful that I get to see Connor at school...and that he is doing so amazingly well there. I love our "Library Day!"

*Our Family*

Photobucket

"Connor's 3rd Birthday in Pics"


Before OMS Onset....

Connor was SO happy and interactive-then OMS struck at 15 months old and he changed overnight...

"Holiday Slideshow 2008"

"A Year In Pictures-2008"


Slideshow Stacy Made!

Connor's 2nd Birthday April 2008

Halloween 2006

Connor George Khoury

Connor George Khoury